Art Nouveau Jewelry: from School to Museum (4h)
Discover the history and creations of a disruptively innovative artistic movement, which, at the dawn of the 20th century, forever changed the Jewelry Arts.
Surprising Art Nouveau Jewels
Decrypt the creations of an artistic movement of extreme freedom
Sensuality, femininity, softness of colors and curves, but also extraordinary creatures…Enter into the vision of the world particular to artist-jewelers of the beginning of the 20th century.
Art Nouveau marked a turning point in the history of art and of jewelry, by offering a radically different aesthetic. Only the historical, economic and social conditions of this very unique period could allow this unusual blossoming.
During the course:
The high point of the course is the Paris Museum of Decorative Arts, with a visit to the Galerie des Bijoux, which houses one of the most important collections of Art Nouveau jewels in the world.
Starting from jewelry creations of the famous René Lalique, Vever, Fouquet, and many other less-known jewelers, you will decode the Art Nouveau style. The professors will help you appreciate the audacious innovations of these visionaries, while placing this movement in the context of an era of great transformations, the “Belle Époque”.
This course is conducted by two art historians
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences.
- You don’t need to bring any specific material.
- A certificate is given at the end of the class.
- We also offer a 2-hour version of this course, focused only on an introduction of the history of Art Nouveau jewelry: "Introduction to Art Nouveau Jewelry". In 4 hours, the course "Art Nouveau Jewelry: from School to Museum", includes the knowledge covered in the course "Introduction to Art Nouveau Jewelry"; it is therefore not recommended for the same person to take both courses.
To go further
- Participate in "A History of Jewelry, from Louis XIV to Art Deco", to deepen your knowledge of jewelry's evolution.
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended.
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience, and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.