Introduction to Art Nouveau Jewelry (2h)
Discover the history and creations of a disruptively innovative artistic movement, which, at the dawn of the 20th century, forever changed the Jewelry Arts.
Art Nouveau, the revolutionary artistic movement, appeared in reaction to later 19th-century conservatism.
During this course
You will first decipher and interpret the style of a transformative period, the "Belle Époque": the historical context, the inspiration sources, the influences, and the means of communication. By showing you the works of celebrated jewelers like René Lalique, Vever, or Fouquet, your teachers will help you to appreciate the audacious innovations made by these visionaries: whiplash curves, radical asymmetry, and new materials.
This course is led by an art historian.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teacher before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences.
- You don’t need to bring any specific material.
- A certificate is given at the end of the class.
- We also offer a 4-hour version of this course, allowing you, through a more complete experience, to go further into the subject: "Art Nouveau Jewelry: from School to Museum". This 4-hour course includes the knowledge covered in the course "Introduction to Art Nouveau Jewelry", as well as a visit of the Jewelry Gallery of the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, whose collection of Art Nouveau Jewelry is one of the largest in the world.
It is therefore not recommended for the same person to take both courses.
Standard price of the course: 100€/pers.
Exceptional price from September 14th to November 27th as part of the "Back to School"* program: 50€/pers.
*L'ÉCOLE, feeling concerned about young people dropping out of school, has decided to donate the totality of the funds collected through the registrations of our students during the period to a charity working for the educational support of young people.
To go further
- Participate in "A History of Jewelry, from Louis XIV to Art Deco", to deepen your knowledge of jewelry's evolution.
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended.
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.
Photo: © MAD, Paris / Jean-Marie del Moral