Jewelry and « Grand Feu » Enameling
Practice the art of enameling as it applies to jewelry.
Originating in Mycenae and Cyprus between 1600 and 1300 BC, the technique of enamel, developed in Europe, and traveled along the invasions of the continent, spreading via the Camino de Santiago trails, to Barcelona and Limoges.
During this course
After a historical introduction and a few technical notions, a master enameler will help you grind the raw material and choose the powders that provide the color.
In creating the decoration of your own jewelry, you will learn the secrets of metal engraving, as well as the techniques of "champlevé" and "plique à jour".
During successive firings in the oven, as the flames fuse and transform the material at 900°C, the nuances, shine and transparency of your enameling work will appear before your eyes.
This course is given by two teachers, one of whom is a master enameler.
To go further
- To discover another savoir-faire, take part in the course "From French jewels to Japanese lacquer"
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
Good to know
- You will leave with your own "champlevé" and "plique à jour" enamel butterfly, which you have created hands-on.
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs