Gold & Jewelry, from Antiquity to the Renaissance Princes
Explore how jewels evolved into Jewelry from Antiquity to the Renaissance Princes.
Pharaohs, emperors of Rome and Byzantium, princes of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance; the great and powerful all used gold and stones as a symbol of their power. From the techniques of casting and repoussé to chasing and granulation, the talent of goldsmiths combined with varied types of gemstones is a testament to the epic story of gold.
During this course :
You will immerse yourself in the very essence of Art History of Jewelry.
Before playing an identification activity, history and geography will lead you on a voyage across centuries and civilizations: you will discover how jewels evolved across the ages, what are their symbolisms, their uses. You will also discover the role/place of gold in jewelry, from Antiquity to the Renaissance Princes.
During this class, you will have the privilege of observing extraordinary antique jewelry pieces.
This course will make you discover the evolution of jewelry from different perspectives: history, culture, style, symbolism…
Your teachers :
This course is led by two art historians.
Good to know :
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences.
- Coffee, tea and pastries are offered upon your arrival.
- You don’t need to bring any specific material.
- A certificate is given at the end of the class.
What makes L'ECOLE experience so special :
- High-quality education: L'ECOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered in English, to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.
To go further :
- To go deeper in your understanding of the jewelry evolution, you can take part in the course "Jewelry: from Louis XIV to Contemporary Artists".
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, Museums related to the course attended.