The Engagement Ring: History, Gemology and Know-How
Discovery of a symbol of love
LanguageEnglishEnglish (Cantonese interpretation)English (Mandarin interpretation)
Although marriage is an institution that dates back to ancient times, it was not until the 15th century that engagement and wedding rings took on separate identities. Centuries later, engagement rings have become universal symbols of love and romance.
During this course
Making an engagement ring involves at least ten different jewelry making skill specialties.
Our three experts will dedicate themselves to bringing you inside the surprising world of precious stones and jewelry techniques which have allowed for the evolution of styles.
You will experience hands-on certain techniques of polishing and setting.
This class is taught by an art historian, a gemologist and a jeweler.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- Participate in the course "Discover the Gemstones" to gain more profound knowledge about gemology and to identify precious stones.