From Design to Mock-up
Explore the first steps in creating a jewel
LanguageEnglishEnglish (Cantonese interpretation)English (Mandarin interpretation)
Once the design is finished, the process of creating a jewel begins with a “gouaché” painted design, depicting its color, shape, and volume in actual size.
During this course
Using various sources of inspiration, understand the three stages which allow a jewel to be represented in two dimensions: the drawing, the tracing, and the gouaché.
Experience the mock-up maker's gestures while creating a pewter mock-up, the first three-dimensional interpretation of the jewel. Cut a butterfly out of metal, shape it and decorate it with rhinestones.
This class led by a jeweler, a designer, and a mock-up maker.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
- Take home the “gouaché” sketch and pewter mock-up you have made!
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- Take part in the course "From the Wax Project to the Setting Techniques", to discover the next steps in the process of creating fine jewelry.
* Remark: This course is offered at L’ÉCOLE in Hong Kong twice a month in English. Simultaneous Cantonese interpretation device is available at one lesson, and the same service is available in Mandarin at the other lesson. Students have to confirm if they need interpretation during their booking.