Art Nouveau Jewelry
Discover the style that introduced a new creative freedom
LanguageEnglishOREnglish (Cantonese)English (Mandarin)
Art Nouveau, the revolutionary artistic movement, appeared in reaction to later 19th-century conservatism.
During this course
You will first decipher and interpret the style of a transformative period, the "Belle Époque": the historical context, the inspiration sources, the influences and the means of communication.
By showing you the works of celebrated jewelers like René Lalique, Vever or Fouquet, your teachers will help you to appreciate the audacious innovations made by these visionaries: whiplash curves, radical asymmetry, and new materials.
The course will end at the Museum of Decorative Arts inside the Jewelry Gallery, of which the Art Nouveau jewelry collection is among the world's most important.
This course is led by two art historians.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special :
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- Participate in "A History of Jewelry, from Louis XIV to Art Deco", to deepen your knowledge of jewelry's evolution.
* This course is offered at L’ÉCOLE in Hong Kong twice a month in English. Simultaneous Cantonese interpretation device is available at one lesson, and the same service is available in Mandarin at the other lesson. Students have to confirm if they need interpretation during their booking.