The Gouaché in High Jewelry 1: The Light
Depict light on a gouaché painting, the first stage in creating a High Jewelry piece.
LanguageEnglishEnglish (Cantonese interpretation)English (Mandarin interpretation)
What is a gouaché?
A « gouaché » is the first step in the creation of a High Jewelry piece: a painted design that will act as a guide for all the craftsmen involved – mock-up makers, jewelers, gemologists and stone setters.
A highly skilled technique, it consists in depicting three-dimensional volumes: although the painted design is flat, the jewel is a three-dimensional object.
At L'ÉCOLE, School of Jewelry Arts, two classes are devoted to this technique of High Jewelry design: "The Gouaché in High Jewelry 1 - The Light" and "The Gouaché in High Jewelry 2: The Color".
During this course
After a presentation of the gouaché technique, experience the designer's gestures while painting a white gold piece in the shape of a bow. Using three different colors, learn how to position light and shadow, and then depict them using gouaché.
Understand the creative process and become familiar with this specific High Jewelry design technique.
Students will be guided by a jewelry designer and a visual artist.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
- Take home your gouaché painting as a souvenir!
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- An additional course is devoted to this technique of creation of fine jewelry: "The Gouaché in High Jewelry 2: The Color".