Fascinating Diamonds 2: Science and Gemology
Discover why the Diamond is so unique.
LanguageEnglishEnglish (Cantonese interpretation)English (Mandarin interpretation)
The only gemstone composed of one single chemical element, the Diamond hides so many mysteries: the miracle of its birth, its totally improbable meeting up with human beings and the five characteristics with determining its supreme hardness. At L'ÉCOLE The School of Jewelry Arts, two courses are entirely dedicated to the Diamond and in order to give a very panoramic view on this "Stone of Stones".
During this course
Your teachers will unveil the history of the diamond, first polished by people during the 4th century BCE, up to the invention of the modern brilliant cut in 1919. With them, you will find out the secrets of this so precious stone: its chemical composition, the fabulous geological circumstances of its creation, its unequaled hardness, the mystery of its brilliance and its fire. You will know how to evaluate clarity for yourself, classifying stones by color grade, appreciating the quality of their cut.
This course is conducted by two gemologists.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- Take part in the course: "Recognize the Gemstones", to continue your exploration of gemology and to identify precious stones.