Recognize the Gemstones
Familiarize yourself with gemology and how to identify gemstones.
LanguageEnglishEnglish (Cantonese interpretation)English (Mandarin interpretation)
NEW: Discovery Series available!
Register this course together with "Discover the Gemstones", enjoy a special price with the Discovery Series "The World of Colored Gemstones".
Like a specialist, become comfortable with the gemologists' tools and train your eye in order to become a connoisseur.
During this course
Transported into the ambiance of the great precious stone markets--Chanthaburi in Thailand, Ratnapura in Sri Lanka or Bogota in Colombia--you will learn to distinguish a group of different gemstones, which can seem very similar to the uninitiated. You will observe stones with your naked eye and then with the professsionals' instruments: hydrostatic scale, refractometer, polariscope, and specific gemologists' scale.
This course is taught by two gemologists.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special :
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs
To go further
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
- Participate in the course: "Fascinating Diamonds 2: Science and Gemology", to deepen your understanding of gemology and to find out what makes diamonds so unique.
* This course is offered at L’ÉCOLE in Hong Kong twice a month in English. Simultaneous Cantonese interpretation device is available at one lesson, and the same service is available in Mandarin at the other lesson. Students have to confirm if they need interpretation during their booking.