Recognize the Gemstones (4h)
Familiarise yourself with gemology and how to identify gemstones.
Like a specialist, become comfortable with the gemologists' tools and train your eye in order to become a connoisseur.
During this course
Transported into the ambiance of the great precious stone markets--Chanthaburi in Thailand, Ratnapura in Sri Lanka or Bogota in Colombia--you will learn to distinguish a group of different gemstones, which can seem very similar to the uninitiated. You will observe stones with your naked eye and then with the professionals' instruments: hydrostatic scale, refractometer, polariscope, and specific gemologists' scale.
This course is taught by two gemologists.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences.
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival.
- You don’t need to bring any specific material.
- A certificate is given at the end of the class.
To go further
- Participate in the course "Fascinating Diamonds 2: Science and Gemology", to deepen your understanding of gemology and to find out what makes diamonds so unique.
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended.
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special :
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience, and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.