From French Jewels to Japanese Lacquer (4h)
Discover a magnificent art and craft tradition: Japanese Urushi lacquer.
Immerse yourself into two magnificent arts and crafts traditions: French Jewelry & Japanese Urushi lacquer.
In the lacquer workshop, surrounded by tools and materials from Japan, create your own lacquer work butterfly using three of the lacquer master's ancestral techniques: applying color, Maki-e, and mother-of-pearl mosaic.
In the jewelry workshop, sit at a workbench, shape the metal and encrust it with vegetable ivory to create motifs on the wings of a jeweled butterfly.
Experience all the richness of these artistic professions.
About the Course
Three hundred kilometers northwest of Tokyo live the greatest lacquer masters. It was with their help - and that of the "Mains d'Or™" from Van Cleef & Arpels' High Jewelry ateliers - that this class was created.
Sit back and relax
- This class is conducted by two teachers, including a Master of Japanese Urushi lacquer.
- You will take home as a souvenir the two butterfly jewels you will have made: a lacquered one and another one in brass.
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences.
- You don’t need to bring any specific material.
- A certificate is given at the end of the class.
- Take part in the course "From the Wax Project to the Setting Techniques", if you want to deepen your understanding of the art of French jewelry.
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended.
Special Offer: Discovery Series
L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
A very unique faculty
All the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
Skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
Courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
On an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.