From French Jewels to Japanese Lacquer (4h)
Experience an encounter between two craft traditions
Three hundred kilometers northwest of Tokyo live the greatest lacquer masters. It was with their help - and that of the "Mains d'Or™" from Van Cleef & Arpels' High Jewelry ateliers - that this class was created.
During this course
Immerse yourself into two magnificent arts and crafts traditions: French Jewelry & Japanese Urushi lacquer.
In the lacquer workshop, surrounded by tools and materials from Japan, create your own lacquer work butterfly using three of the lacquer master's ancestral techniques: applying color, Maki-e, and mother-of-pearl mosaic.
In the jewelry workshop, sit at a workbench, shape the metal and encrust it with vegetable ivory to create motifs on the wings of a jeweled butterfly.
Experience all the richness of these artistic professions.
This class is conducted by two teachers, including a Master of Japanese Urushi lacquer.
Good to know
- You will take home as a souvenir the two butterfly jewels you will have made: a lacquered one and another one in brass.
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
- We also offer a 2-hour course focused only on the discovery of Japanese Urushi lacquer: "Trying your hand at Japanese Urushi Lacquer"
To go further
- Take part in the course "From the Wax Project to the Setting Techniques", if you want to deepen your understanding of the art of French jewelry.
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.