Trying your hand at Japanese Urushi Lacquer (2h)
**Saturday sessions available: 16/12, 20/01, 24/02, 20/04**
Discover a magnificent art and craft tradition: Japanese Urushi lacquer.
Immerse yourself into a magnificent art and craft tradition: Japanese Urushi lacquer. In the lacquer workshop, surrounded by tools and materials from Japan, create your own lacquered work butterfly using three of the lacquer master's ancestral techniques: applying color, Maki-e, and mother-of-pearl mosaic.
Experience all the richness of this artistic professions.
About the Course
Three hundred kilometers northwest of Tokyo live the greatest lacquer masters. It was with their help that this class was created.
We also offer a 4-hour course, allowing you, through a more complete offer, to discover not only the Japanese Urushi lacquer but also the traditional savoir-faire of French jewels : "From French jewels to Japanese lacquer".
Sit back and relax
- This course is given by two teachers, one of whom is a lacquer master.
- You will take home as a souvenir the lacquered butterfly you will have made.
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences.
- You don’t need to bring any specific material.
- A certificate is given at the end of the class.
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended.
Special offer: Discovery Series
L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
A very unique faculty
All the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
Skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
Courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
On an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.