Trying your hand at Japanese Urushi Lacquer (2h)
Discover a magnificent art and craft tradition: Japanese Urushi lacquer
Three hundred kilometers northwest of Tokyo live the greatest lacquer masters. It was with their help that this class was created.
During this course
Immerse yourself into a magnificent art and craft tradition: Japanese Urushi lacquer.
In the lacquer workshop, surrounded by tools and materials from Japan, create your own lacquered work butterfly using three of the lacquer master's ancestral techniques: applying color, Maki-e, and mother-of-pearl mosaic.
Experience all the richness of this artistic professions.
This course is given by two teachers, one of whom is a lacquer master.
Good to know
- You will take home as a souvenir the lacquered butterfly you will have made.
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences
- You don’t need to bring any specific material
- A certificate is given at the end of the class
- We also offer a 4-hour course, allowing you, through a more complete offer, to discover not only the Japanese Urushi lacquer but also the traditional savoir-faire of French jewels : "From French jewels to Japanese lacquer"
Standard price of the course: 100€/pers.
Exceptional price from September 14th to November 27th as part of the "Back to School"* program : 50€/pers.
*L'ÉCOLE, feeling concerned about young people dropping out of school, has decided to donate the totality of the funds collected through the registrations of our students during the period to a charity working for the educational support of young people.
To go further
After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.