Discover the Gemstones (4h)
Become Initiated into Gemology
Where and how do crystals form? What are the different varieties of gems? Immerse yourself into the domain of gemstones, decipher their mysteries, learn to appreciate them, and to let your emotions speak to you.
During this course
First, you will discover the origins of gemstones, their great variety, and the different techniques used to extract and collect them. Then you will then learn about the development and goals, and the various stages, in cutting and polishing, as well as the techniques for evaluating gemstones. Finally, to concretize what you have been learning, your teachers will guide you through three hands-on experiences, during which you will manipulate and observe the stones using gemologists' tools.
This class is led by two gemologists.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences.
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival.
- You don’t need to bring any specific material.
- A certificate is given at the end of the class.
- We also offer a shorter version of this course, in 2 hours, focused only on an introduction to the world of gemology: "Introduction to Gemology". The course "Discover the Gemstones" includes the knowledge covered and the experiments done during the course "Introduction to Gemology"; it is therefore not recommended for the same person to do both courses.
To go further
- Become a student in the course "Recognize the gemstones", to go more deeply into your exploration of gemology and to actually identify yourself using gem identification instruments during the course.
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended.
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.