Fascinating Diamonds 2: Science and Gemology
Discover why the Diamond is so unique.
The only gemstone composed of one single chemical element, the diamond hides so many mysteries: the miracle of its birth, its totally improbable meeting up with human beings and the five characteristics which determine its supreme hardness. At L'ÉCOLE, School of Jewelry Arts, two courses are entirely dedicated to the Diamond and in order to give a very panoramic view on this "Stone of Stones".
During this course
The teachers will relate the diamond's history, from when it was first polished in the 4th century BCE to the invention of the modern brilliant cut in 1919, which enabled it to express its full brilliance.
Discover the secrets of this gemstone: its chemical composition, totally improbable birth, unequaled hardness, the mystery of its brilliance and its fire.
Handle stones, classify them by colors and assess their clarity, use gemologist's tools and look at exclusive documents.
This class is conducted by two gemologists.
To go further
- Take part in the course "Recognize the gemstones", to continue your exploration of gemology and to identify precious stones.
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences.
- Coffee, tea, and pastries are offered upon your arrival.
- You don’t need to bring any specific material.
- A certificate is given at the end of the class.
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.