Gold and Jewelry, from Antiquity to the Renaissance Princes (4h)
Explore how jewelry has evolved through history, from ancient times up until the Renaissance
Pharaohs, Roman emperors, Byzantine potentates, Medieval princes, Renaissance rulers, all powerful people have used gold as one of their attributes of wielding that power.
From casting to repoussé, from chasing to granulation, through the talent of goldsmiths the saga of gold is revealed.
During this course
Immerse yourself into the very essence of jewelry history! The stories and the geography will send you on a voyage through centuries and civilizations: you will discover how jewelry has evolved through the ages, its uses and its symbolism.
Finally, you will have the privilege of observing the patrimonial collection of L'ÉCOLE, a teaching collection of extraordinary antique jewels.
This course is led by two art historians.
Good to know
- You are welcomed by your teachers before the class starts: a chance to meet each other and share experiences.
- You don’t need to bring any specific material.
- A certificate is given at the end of the class.
To go further
- Broaden your understanding of jewelry's evolution by participating in the course "A History of Jewelry, from Louis XIV to Art Deco".
- After each class, teachers deliver a list of books, podcasts, websites, museums related to the course attended.
What makes L'ÉCOLE experience so special
- High-quality education: L'ÉCOLE as education and research center has a scientific council.
- A very unique faculty: all the teachers are passionate experts chosen for their enthusiasm and skill in transmitting their knowledge.
- Generosity: skills are presented with ease in an enjoyable way, hands-on experience and dialogue. Classes are for everyone with no pre-requisites.
- Exclusive interaction: courses are delivered in small groups to allow students to discuss one-on-one with the experts.
- Initiation courses: on an “à la carte” basis courses offered to all those who want to learn and become enlightened amateurs.